Audrey Eagle Drawing Competition
The Botanical Society of Otago’s Audrey Eagle Botanical Drawing Competition.
Submissions are now open for the 2022 Botanical Society of Otago’s Audrey Eagle Botanical Drawing Competition and Art Auction. This year there are two age categories, and participants of all skill levels are warmly encouraged to submit. Artists will have the opportunity to present their works for auction after the awards have been presented, with all profits going back to the artist. Remember that you must be a current member to enter.
- First Prize $100
- Second Prize $75
- Third Prize $50
- People’s Choice $25.
Each winning artist will also receive a signed copy of Allison Knight’s Lichens of New Zealand, An Introductory Illustrated Guide!
- Botanical accuracy.
- Detail, especially of important identification features.
- Clarity of lines.
- Proportional representation and scale.
- Suitability for reproduction in newsletter.
- Accurate caption, eg botanical name of plant, where it came from, date drawn.
- Botanical notes or comments of interest eg. key to botanical details, history, distribution, uses, variations etc. (The NZPCN website could be helpful).
- Preference will be given to plants that have been rarely illustrated.
- Above all, artistic merit carries the highest rating.
Conditions of entry
- Unframed entries must be submitted with an entry form, by Monday October 10, 2022 to Botanical Society of Otago, c/o Department of Botany University of Otago P.O. Box 56 Dunedin, New Zealand, or handed in to the Department of Botany Office, 464 Great King Street, between 9.30 a.m. and 11.30 a.m. and 2.30 p.m. to 4.30 p.m. weekdays.
- The drawing must be your original work. A drawing from life is preferable and a copy of an existing botanical drawing is not acceptable.
- There is a limit of 3 entries, with a minimum size A5, maximum A3.
- You should include a title and notes of botanical interest; these do not need to be written directly on the drawing and can be submitted alongside the drawing.
- Judges will be kept unaware of your identity while judging - so don’t sign the front! But please do put you name on the back(s) and number each entry.
- Entries will be displayed and prizes awarded during the meeting on Wednesday 9th November 2022.
- BSO may use copies, with due acknowledgement, in the Newsletter and website.
- Entries are open to current BSO members – our subscription is very low!
- If there are insufficient entries the competition may be postponed.
- There is no entry fee, so please include an addressed, pre-paid envelope or tube if you would like your drawings returned.
- You may put your entries up for auction at the meeting if you wish.
2018 winning entry
Kothalsella lindsayi growing on Melicope simplex. Original artwork by Helen Jones. Medium: watercolour.
2012 winning entry
Celmisia lindsayi, clockwise from left: habit, ray floret, achene, disc floret. Original artwork by Sharon Jones. Medium: watercolour.