Field Trip to Catlins

Saturday 3rd of November 2012, 08:30 AM (8 years ago)

Contact: Allison Knight | alli_knight@hotmail.com | 027 487 8265

Mohua Park is a 14 hectare private forest reserve owned by Fergus and Mary Sutherland. Eight hectares are varied native forest—mature podocarp, mature silver beech and secondary growth podocarp. Some of the special features of the native forest include the many matai, lowland ribbonwoods, kaikomako and small-leafed milkwoods. The native forest area is protected by a QE II open space covenant and is especially rich in bird life as a result of continuously maintained predator control. There are also three hectares of planted forest—the bulk of which is radiata pine, as well as a recently established deciduous woodland. The native forest on the property was preserved as a steading around the hill-top homestead of Tawanui's sawmill owner and manager: J. R. Wilson. The old homestead was built in the 1920's, and has a well established garden and lawn. Fergus and Mary have built four tourist accommodation eco cottages on the property and they also use it as a base for their Catlins eco tours. More information about Mohua Park, including a video, can be seen on their website: www.catlinsmohuapark.co.nz Location: 744 Catlins Valley Road, Tawanui—sign-posted off the Southern Scenic Routes 10 km south of Owaka. Meet 8.30 am at the Botany Dept Car Park, 464 Great King St. Distance 127 km. For a plant list, map of tracks and more information see the BSO website.(coming soon)